Sunday 28 January 2018

Landsend winter league Round 3

After a week off because myself and Helena took a few days off in Malta, and a lovely time we had too, it was back to Landsend for round three of the Winter league. I was doing well so far so a good draw was needed today to keep things going. Today I was on Specie lake and realy wanted to be at the top end of the lake as thats usualy the good area. I was a bit late into the draw as Di had missed me on the breakfast list and there was only two pegs left in the bucket for my section. So in I go and I pull out peg 33. My prayers had been answered. This peg won the last match with around 90lb so I was well happy as its usualy a tough peg to beat right up in the top left corner. For company today I had Dave Lewis next to me on 34, whom I had drawn in the knockout. Jason radford opposite on corner peg 32, and series organiser Ken Raynor on 31. 4 rigs today. A .15 shalla slim to fish mid depth along the end bank. A .3 slim to fish on the deck on the same line. A good depth of about 5 feet along that bank. A .4 slim to fish for silvers if the need arose on maggot or caster. And a .3 SS margin to fish corn both side at top three length, but didnt realy thing this would be a goer. At the all in I fired a few caters at 14 meters along the end bank and cupped in some micros and casters at 11 meters into open water slightly to my right where it was about 4 inches deeper than the rest of the peg. I put double white maggot on the shallow rig and as I was shipping out I saw a good ghosty on the top in open water so I dropped it in front of it and it obliged but it came off after a bout 5 seconds. So it was back to plan 'A' lifting and dropping the bait at mid depth and pinging a few casters over the top. I had a problem as I was finding it hard to get the bait in the water without blippy roach dragging it about but I did get a decent carp after about 15 minutes. A nice ghosty of about 8lb. I stayed on that line, shallow and full depth for around 90 minutes but only had one more plus a few rouch that managed to hang on to the maggot long enough to get them in. they were a real pain. There were carp there as I was foul hooking a few and loosing them. So I tried on the silvers line with single maggot. I got a couple of tiny roach out then it went quiet for 10 minutes. Then I hooked a good carp in the tail on a size 20 to .01 hooklength. Sqeaky bum time but I managed to get this one in. By now Ken had two carp and was also getting better silvers. Dave was struggling to keep the silvers going. As was Jason. But he had lost a couple of carp by this time. I went back to the end bank but it was the same story, either blippy roach picking at the bait or the odd fouled carp. They just didnt want maggot or caster properly. So I decided to change up to pellet and try to keep the roach away. Like that worked!! They just sucked at it and made the float dance around. Plus no carp at all in the half hour I tried it.By the third hour I`d had three and lost seven. So plan `C` was called for. I upped the feed and changed to corn and started to get the odd carp. I gotta say Jason kept myself and Ken in stitches with his antics today. In a ten minute spell , after watching Ken get a couple of carp slapping close to the island he had a go but was oblivious to the over hanging branches from the trees along the end bank, loosing three rigs.  I think he was using nuts fishing for squirrels. A frase came to mind. The deffinision of madnes is repeating the same actions over and over and expecting a different result lol. Cheers Jason, you made it a fun day. The last two hours was a waiting game. All the carp I got came on corn on the deck at 16 meters after long waits, if the roach let it get to the bottom. At the end I had put 48lb on the clicker and was guessing at 4lb of silvers. Ken had 5 carp and a decent net of silvers to put 49-6 total on the scales and Jason had 18lb. I was surprised to see my silvers go 7-2 and my 8 carp go 55-1 for a total of 62-3 for a section win. Dave had struggled with keeping the silvers going and had no real bonus fish except a 2lb chub. He managed 11-10. My weight was top on the day so I was well pleased. That keeps me top at the moment, but with three matches still to go anything could happen and its all down to keeping drawing well and making the most out of every peg. Full results below.


No comments:

Post a Comment