Sunday 11 February 2018

Landsend winter league round 4

Back to landsend for round 4 of this years very well run winter league. Just before I got to the venue I was driving through a blizzard of that, not quite snow, not quite hail stuff and it was freezing outside the car. Glad I was well rugged up. Got there with half hour to spare so first stop was to munch down a nice cooked breakfast and sell a few floats. It was back to a random draw for this round and all I wanted was to avoid Match lake as it been pretty bad for a while. I’m doing OK in the league so a good draw was needed to keep me at the top. But I was one of the last to draw so not much to choose from. Into the bucket and out pops 31. Gotta admit I’m being bit of a draw bag at the mo. That’s my fourth decent draw. It’s on the end of the island on Specie lake. Match organiser Ken Raynor drew it last match and got second on the lake from it, and I could see what he was doing cos I was pegged opposite. So I had an idea on what I would try today. But after setting up 16m to fish a longish line to reach the island 🌴at 17 meters, I put a plummet on and shipped out. The wind was so bad I couldn’t hold the pole after about 12 meters and with the forecast for it to get worse I pulled it back in took off 3 sections and never touched them again. With the strong wind and the snow that was coming down conditions were looking pretty rough. The guys around me went out long but they were finding it almost impossible, so bait presentation was gonna be near impossible. So I got a bomb rod out to get to the island, which in the end was a good move. Won’t go into to much detail as it was very hard. Fishing 11m was a real struggle and I only had a few silvers when the wind did drop long enough to present a still bait. Martin Pettifer next to me persevered for long periods and got a few more silvers than me and a couple of carp on his silver rig. Steve Sewell on 28 fished as long as the wind would allow and caught small roach consistently. Poor Rod Wooten was on 34 and was up the end bank more than in the water a lot of the day. He had his one and only fish, a decent carp, with just 25 minutes left. I’m surprised a pole or two weren’t broken today. I fished half pole and half bomb today, and managed to pick up 5 decent carp from the bottom of the shelf at the end of the island on banded 6mm pellet on an 18. All other lines I tried were void of any life. My phone battery was dead so I didn’t get any photos of the sheets, but I think my 5 carp went 37-9, and my silvers went 1-9, and that total gave me a lake and section win. But to say it was an uncomfortable days fishing was an understatement. And I, for one, was glad when it finished. Many struggled for bites today. You will have to see Tony Rixon’s, or Ken Raynor’s blogs for the weigh sheets  Appologese to the guys for not having all the facts but technology let me down today.

No comments:

Post a Comment